Saturday, July 30, 2011

Taking the plunge

Finally I registered for a marathon. I went online and made the decision. I'm glad that it's taken care of because now I'm not all wishy washy when it comes to training. I think I'll start the twelve week block the week of August 21st. Until then I have a 5k race that I'm going to do in Charlotte next week.

The goal for Blue Points/Blue Shield is to try and run under 16:45. I'm not sure what next week will bring for running. I'll be in Nashville for most of the week and depending on how much fun I have will really determine a lot. I feel that with the heat that has been laying DC to waste the past week and a half, that my training has suffered a bit. I'm also sure that when I'm in Charlotte for a couple days that it will probably be 100 degrees the entire time. The workouts I'm going to do in Nashville will be some simple fartlek's. A 4 x 5 minute effort on Tuesday and then some 30/30's on Thursday. The mileage will go down a bit because I'm running a race, and then after that I'll take a down week and just relax and recover on my paid vacation.

For the marathon I have some specific goals. I would like to run around 2:40, but if I could hit 2:37 that would be nice. I would like to lower my marathon PR of 2:49:51. Hopefully that will be done with ease, but you never know and I'm not going to take anything for granted. I'll be pleased with running on roads that I'm familiar with and hopefully having people cheer me on (or throw rotten vegetables at me-I don't know). I haven't raced a marathon since Boston 2008 (I almost put ran, but then realized I paced two since then). One thing that really has got me filled with confidence is my long runs. I've been able to really hammer them out of the park and run them with relative ease. I'm probably going to max out at twenty four miles. Other than that I'm going to try and find some races to do in between then to get my legs a race underneath them.

As for running and teaching I'm not sure what is going to happen. During the fall the hours will be longer, almost ten hours at the school. And twice a month I'll be there for thirteen hours. Being on my feet all the time, I feel confident in the footwear I have. Well that's the daily update for today.

Later gators

No comments: