Sunday, July 3, 2011

Greenberg

...there's a scene in the movie "Greenberg" which I can safely say that I can relate to right about now. The character, played by Ben Stiller, is house sitting for his brother. His niece throws a big party, where all her friends show up. The Ben Stiller character, Greenberg, kinda has some social awkwardness tendencies kinda feels out of place with all these younger people. It takes some time for him to relate, and by time I mean he starts to do lines of cocaine. Well I was over at my sister's boyfriend's place tonight and I can say that it was just like that scene from Greenberg, minus the drug use. I quickly realized that I was probably five years younger than everyone else, and that while I don't mind drinking alcohol, it's nothing something that I was really looking to do. To drink to get drunk. SORRY BUT I'M SAVORING THE TAST OF THIS FINE DRINK.

Maybe it's the fact that in Charlotte I hang out with people who are active and exercise, so seeing people smoke was foreign to me. I'm not trying to judge, it was just something that was a shock. Sometimes you kinda realized who you are and who you are not. And you can fake it for as long as you can, but eventually your true colors come out and that's where you feel comfortable. Now at this bbq I did have two tall boys of PBR, which apparently was nice to hear that one of my bosses noticed this was all I drank at one of the happy hours. Sometimes I guess the way you project yourself is how others define who you are. It's something that might not be intentional, but it's something that I have to be more conscience about.

On the running front, something that is getting a bit ridiculous is that once again I got bit by some sort of insect and got a swelling from it. I guess my allergic reactions have gotten to the point where no matter what bites me, I will get a reaction. It's getting increasingly dangerous to the point where I might have to go to the doctor to see what I can do to prevent this from becoming a serious problem. I would rather not die while running on a trail by myself.

Tomorrow is the 4th and hopefully it will be something that will be neat to see in the nations capital. I'm going to be going into work for a bit tomorrow, I'm not sure for how long, but I'm getting ready for the year ahead of me. I don't really consider it that much of a dedication, but rather something that I want to get out of the way. Also my lead is going to be there and I feel the need to help her out, because I really don't have anything planned for the early part of the day.

No comments: