Saturday, July 9, 2011

At base camp

Tardiness from yesterday. I got home and was in no shape to write anything constructive. It was a day that I thought would be a bit stressful but actually wasn't that bad. But I am aware of what lies ahead and that I'm going to be doing things that will be foreign at first, but hopefully every day I'll improve on what I'm doing.

On the running front I've seen some improvement on my development. I'll probably be repeating this on multiple occasions, but running is going to become one of the outlets for me. It's going to give me a chance to be outside (when I'm not running on a treadmill) and I'll have a specific time to be by myself. Although I do realize that eventually I'll find a running group to run with, but in my area I'm not really sure who runs out here. The Thursday morning track workouts are nice in that there are other people out there, but nobody can really run my pace. I received a compliment from one guy that I was fast, and it was reassuring but I kinda want to get pushed and hopefully at the race next week I'll meet some people who I can run with. I guess one downside of not having a car is that I can't just go out and drive and meet someone at a place like I did in Charlotte.

The other news in running, aside from being relatively heathy is that I'm probably going to register for the Thunder Road Marathon in November. I had been hesitant to register, not because I don't want to run it, but mainly because my work schedule hadn't been finalized. I really didn't want to pluck down money for an entry fee and airfare and then have to cancel or eat it. Luckily Veterans Day is the day before the race and I have that day off. So I'll be off to Charlotte that Friday morning or maybe even Thursday night! Having run the course multiple times I know what lies ahead of me. It will also be a good chance to see some people who I haven't seen in a long time. Also it will save me some money in that I don't have to get a hotel room. I'll sleep in comfortable environment and I'll be able to see my dog again! I kinda have a goal in mind, but I'm going to have to be able to adapt to what I'm running (and my work schedule) in the next couple months.

Tomorrow will be a day where I'm going to prep for work and try and get ready to the big challenge ahead of me. There are certain things I know what to do and certain things I don't know what to do. I'm going to be learning as I go along, so I'll try to be a sponge and soak up information as best as I can. But I just have to reassure myself that even though this will be hard, I got this.

Another week of living in the capital in the books, another week of mileage in the 80s, no new injuries to speak of (other than a small teak in my left quad). Let's see what I'll be saying next week. A busy week of exciting new things and prospects. Oh yeah a night time race where there will be Kenyans and nearly every stud in the DMV area! Well let's hope for a top 30 finish and somewhere in the 26:40-27 minute range.

Later gators

No comments: