Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Of things remembered from a whiff of weather

When I woke up this morning it reminded me of another time. Well actually it reminded me of one of those early September days where the humidity was out in full force. It was in the high 60s/low 70s in the morning and it got up to the mid 80s during the day. It would be warm but it would be bearable. It reminded me of what Charlotte was like during the Labor Day weekend. It reminded me of cross country practice in September, when you know that the warm weather is in it's dying stage and that the cooler temps will soon populate the land. It was a pleasant reminder that the weather was going to change and that with all things time changes as well. And so on this pleasant day I went back to DC. How did the trip back go...?

I was driven to the airport by my brosef. It was a journey in which he got the Lexus as fast as he could go and in as many lanes as he could. As I was going through the security line one thought went through my head: why do I have to take my belt off? Is this some sort of cruel joke to make men throughout the country to hold up our pants on our own. Then going through the conniver belt my laptop had to go under the scope again. Apparently the plastic in my shoes prevented the computer from being seen. I asked "really the plastic prevents it from being seen?" I then asked some other follow up questions, then secretly thought "no I'm not being noisy, I just want to know, these questions don't mean I'm a terrorist". I think I was in the clear.

The plane ride itself was uneventful. But like all plane rides I sweat a ton, feel the pangs of motion sickness, and just wish that a Lost type plane crash would happen so I could feel some cool air on my face. After getting off the plane I had the option of waiting till 5 to get on the bus or the train. I decided to take the MARC train. It was part of the journey where I meet a Canadian college actor. He was going to Ottawa then to Prince Edward Island. He missed a flight in Baltimore and was hoping to catch one in DC at 7. We were on the train at 5 and got off at 5:35. I'm not sure if he made it to his flight, maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I ended up getting to my apartment at 6:15 and was exhausted. I was hungry and there was nothing in my apartment. That meant I had to go to the store to get something for tonight. I was not pleased about this. I ended up getting a pizza and crashing. It was fun while it lasted in Charlotte, but now I'm back.

It was a bit weird going to Charlotte back to DC. In some ways I didn't want to leave and in other aspects I feel that where I am now is home. It was weird going back to Charlotte. Am I really an out of towner now? Is it weird that I feel out of the loop? Or am I not really out of the loop? Do I need to get Skype? All these questions will have answers soon.

No comments: