Tuesday, August 23, 2011

EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!!!




I was walking this morning on the way to work. I had a weird feeling creep over me. Does work today start at 8? If it does that means I'm late. Why are there all these kids out this early? Oh yeah that's right school starts. But I had a general feeling of weirdness come. It was pretty cool in the morning, it was in the low sixties.

Fast forward to nearly two o'clock. And then a big whoooosh sound hit the window. I said "I think that's construction" because we did have construction workers in the building and it sounded like they were on the second floor. Then a couple seconds later the whole building started to shake. The floors and the walls were shaking. I didn't lose my balance, but it felt like the everything was going back and forth. That's when we all looked at each other and bolted! Well I started to run a bit and then waited to see if everyone was leaving. As I was half-way down the hallway someone said the safest place to be is under the door. And that's when I realized he was right. So I stood under the doorway and then after a couple minutes made my way outside and waited for aftershocks and to see if any gas lines had been ruptured.

Outside I talked about how if zombies and vampires fought one another it wouldn't really make a difference. If a zombie bites a vampire it wouldn't change anything because the vampire is already dead. I also talked about the New Madrid fault line, what to do if this is the end of the world (get a dog, a F150 truck, and a shotgun-maybe a silencer shotgun like in No Country for Old Men). Being outside wasn't all that bad. The only problem is that tomorrow I'm going to have to work extra late to get things ready and then class starts on Thursday.

But what I was really impressed with was how nobody really panicked. In the city things were chaotic but everyday life was going on. No riots. Nothing really out of the ordinary other than the fact that people were walking home from work at two and that traffic was out of control. I think we got everything under control and I think we can handle anything that comes to us.

No comments: