Thursday, August 18, 2011

Brian's Lament

I was thinking about this while I was out running. Man why did I pick running as the sport that I do? I would rather have done basketball or soccer. The thinking was that it's something that I have to do on a consistent basis to maintain the level where I'm at. If I was playing basketball or soccer it's something that I would look forward to on the weekend. It's something where I could coast or even have a beer while I'm doing it. But running I can't do that if I want to maintain the level where I'm at. I could slack off and then run much slower, but honestly if that ever happens then I would probably quit racing and running seriously. I don't think I could subject myself to running slower than I know I have been in the past.

It got me thinking back when I was in college and I decided to start running again during my freshman year. It was probably after Labor Day and I went running. I probably only ran twenty minutes. I didn't really put any thought as to why I was doing it. It was something to keep me from going bored. It was not a means of relaxing stress, instead it was just something I did on a whim. I probably didn't even get serious about it till after college. Now it's something that shapes my identity and it's more like my calling card. I guess when people meet me know that's how they know me. Although being here in DC and working with people who don't run I could make things up about my running and they wouldn't know the difference. But I don't do that. I figure that with running, it's all on a cycle.

I'm lamenting the course that I've taken. It's not the easiest path to take. Although nearly everyone runs (a marathon), but how many people say that they are racing one? I guess there are some instances where I should be afraid of running in the pitch black in DC at 4:30am, but I'm going to buy some mace and run with it. I could take the easy way out and run on the treadmill in my building. I don't think it opens till 5, but still I can make this work. The other thing that I think is that I'm not to sure someone will mug some guy who runs in the same direction that traffic is going while not wearing a shirt.* I guess they couldn't expect me to carry anything more than my keys in my key pocket. But that's what I have to expect. I could shot hoops or run around and fake an injury or I could just suck it up, go out and do things that other people tell me is crazy.

*This lead me to think that in college I would walk back to my dorm on the weekend anywhere from 2-3am. Nothing ever happened. I was always sober and always going to my dorm to sleep alone. I was also a loser for much of college.

I have a week of not having to wake up relatively early and then the fun starts. The only other data that I have from running and school is that I got really worn down during the third week, but I think I can chalk that up to 100+ degree weather for four consecutive days. Where it zapped all my energy and then getting sick around that time. Maybe I'll get worn down and burn out or maybe not. I've got twelve weeks to see what will happen. Hopefully I stay injury free, hopefully I keep my sanity, hopefully I keep my positive nature, and hopefully I have some fun. Oh boy! Oh boy!

No comments: