Tuesday, July 17, 2012

sad and lonely ramblings(7)

Over the weekend I watched one of my favorite moves, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I am simply fascinated by Spaghetti Westerns. The fact that they were American Westerns, filmed in Spain, and directed by Italians is the perfect dichotomy. The great thing about this movie was it was the final movie of the Man with No Name trilogy, yet it also served as a prequel to first two movies.  I love the laconic dialogue that is presented throughout the movie. No long serving speeches, there is no back stories about the main characters, and there is a simple motivation throughout the movie: greed.

Although the movie has pegged the three characters into it's own categories, really the only character that fits it's name is that of Angel Eyes, the bad. What I really liked about the movie was the scene when Tuco is dragging Blonde throughout the desert. It's a scene that is played comical. Tuco has a pinkish umbrella that he uses and this is a Western VERY MACHO and it's simply just one of those things that goes unnoticed.

What I like about this movie is that it's a classic for it's time. If the movie was made now, it would be over the top with violence and the dialogue would be more of an outlet for whoever the director or writer was. It's a great movie that gets the job done.

The song of the day is from the band, Operation Ivy "Healthy Body Sick Mind". From the guys that kinda put punk/ska on the map. It might be one of my favorite songs and it's my favorite song from the band. Give me that ska vibe and give me that white boy reggae vocals any day.



No comments: