Thursday, July 12, 2012

sad and lonely ramblings(2)

Here is my two cents on the ole Jerry Sandusky and Penn State scandal. What happened was a gross misconduct by four school leaders who conspired to continue of a cover up of a serial pedophile for over a decade. What they did showed that they were more inclined to care about their public image than the well being of young boys. What also makes me extremely unhappy is that once again this is a man who was a coach, in charge of young adults, who does something so heinous that gives others who have coached or are coaching a black eye. It also further restricts what we can do and say. When I was coaching cross country I remember getting chewed out by the athletic director and principal when I informed them that I drove a runner home in my car. They said what if he claimed that you touched him. I said I didn't so why would he say that. I was a bit naive in this thinking, that if the student was upset with me could claim something to get me in trouble. 

As part of coaching and working with children I had to attend a seminar that dealt with knowing the signs of abuse, physical and sexual. There were other individuals there who were volunteering for whatever reasons at the schools. One women, who had to be in the early thirties, said this after we watched a video of a pedophile. This guy worked at a skate rink, he took pictures of kids there and did this to get close to them. A classic move by these sorts of people. This women could not believe that someone could do this. I couldn't believe that someone couldn't believe that this could happened. I didn't like attending the seminar, it was depressing and dealt with things that one should have to deal with. 

On a brighter note here is the song of the day. 

It's Stop the Future by The Epoxies. The band broke up a while ago, but they are a unique band in the realm of punk. They combined a sense of new wave, electronica, and punk. Maybe there was some sort of fad where this was popular, but they lasted a couple albums and then they broke up. Now what makes them even more unique is that they had a female lead singer. And let me tell you in the realm of punk, it's one big sausage party. A somewhat attractive woman at a punk show, it's like throwing chum in the water during shark week. It's like blood in the water. Since there aren't that many woman in punk, or go to shows for that manner when you see one she's instantly graded a few spots higher than she should be. Also it causes all the guys to take notice, which means that they frequently stare at her.

It's like when I was in college and would go to the gym to lift and work out. When a girl would walk into one of the work out rooms, all the guys heads would turn to look at her, just like the raptors do in Jurassic Park in the kitchen scene. Literally you would see guys flexing a bit more and lifting a little bit more than they should. And then there was me who would then do pull ups, do them slowly, and would do them in perfect form. I got up to twenty in a row. Nobody really noticed or cared.

No comments: