Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sad and lonely ramblings

This isn't going to be part of my long ongoing funemployment summer saga. But instead it will be part of my song of the day that I will release upon the masses. Of course in my day there has to be something that goes with the song that is provided. So for my first song of the day, I'm giving the world of my reader (plural) The Briggs "Back to Higher Ground".


Now these guys are in the news and I have to say, can I really like a band that has a Scientologist in it? Well seeing that I have to tread lightly on this subject, let's say...sure! The first song of the day!

Now back to my life. I took the Praxis II subject test for Elementary Content Knowledge. I think I did good. Here's the thing it was a computer based test. So I plow through the test, one hundred and twenty questions, in forty minutes. During the test there were questions that were asked that a teacher who teaches from pre-k 3 to third grade should know.  One reason why I'm not the most astute scholar was that I looked at what was going to be on the test...this morning. So going in I was already hanging my head low. I ended up having my head already hanging low. The literacy questions were first and I did my best to answer the them. Then there were the math questions. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Questions on fractions, questions of division. I THOUGHT THERE WOULDN'T BE MATH ON THE TEST!! I immediately thought back to when I was working the Charleston Marathon Expo and got yelled at by these three old women.

I was considered a mater pacer and so there I am at the pace table, to put in further details the expo was held under a tent on a bed of straw, and these three whit women who were probably in their sixties asked me what pace the five hour pacer was going to run. Now this is where I should have said I don't know, but being fearless I decided to answer. Now I have no idea what pace five hours is. I then did some division, well a five hour marathon is a two and a half half marathon. Crap that doesn't help me. So I said a number that was in my head. It sounded good. Ten minutes.

OH THAT IS TO FAST!

THAT PACER IS GOING TO TAKE PEOPLE OUT TO FAST!

And that's how the conversation went for about five minutes. Me looking awkwardly while these women yelled out me. Then they calmed down and asked about the course. I had no idea what the course was like. IT'S FLAT. Then they asked me if I had ran it. NO.

WELL HOW DO YOU KNOW IF IT'S FLAT.

My thinking for that was that, let's see it's at Charleston A) were near the beach and B) we wont run on the bridge. Flat sounds good to me.

And that's the fun I experienced working an expo. I ended up sleeping in the second bedroom of the host families five year.

So that's what through my head as I was trying to figure out what 1 1/3 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/5 x 1 1/6. I honestly did my best. I calculated it and circled the answer to what I got that was the closest 2 1/3.

Also it should be noted that when I took the test I had to sign some waiver. Now here's the thing you have to write out the waiver. Fine I can do that. But they make you write it in cursive. WHAT IS THIS COMMUNIST RUSSIA. I was already sighing and feeling very inadequate at the moment. I was really worried that I would go over the lines that were presented to me. But I didn't. But really who writes in cursive? Nobody that's who. Then they give these waivers where you appear like some sort of moron who can't remember whether a cursive m has three lines or two.

Then presenting my ID for proof that I am who I am. I tell the guy I look different due to my beard. He then inspects it like he's a bouncer. THIS ISN'T THE CLUB. He tells me to turn to my side. I guess he wanted to check out my good side? I don't know. But that's how it went for my Praxis II test.

I ended up walking back Georgia Avenue to my apartment. I stopped at a subway for lunch. A bus driver came in and asked if anyone was driving the black lexus that was blocking the bus lane. So guy who I guess had just gotten back from the gym had. Listen bro you come in with you weird muscle shirt, shorts, and flip flops and you think you can park wherever you want! That's what I was thinking, but I didn't say. Yep that's my life.

No comments: