Thursday, June 30, 2011

Purple Platty

With the longer hours working so far, I guess you can count the orientation and development as such, I've felt that one thing that is getting pushed being (with the notion that something will get left behind) is the state of my apartment. It's gone from Kent Morris clean to some sort of dishevelment. Ah a goal for the weekend! Being inundated with notebooks left and right, it can get pretty overwhelming. But the one thing that I have really been on top of is is buying a day planner, and writing down whenever I have something to do. In the past I would read an email and just forget to jot anything important down. Now I get an email, pull out my day planner and put all the necessary info. It's something to keep me sane and not start to drop down into the rabbit hole.

Today I could be happy in that I received my work laptop DUDE YOUR GETTING A DELL! and work phone. I have a blackberry, which is something that I am still working on how to figure it out. I would really use an unfrozen caveman lawyer reference right now, but I'm not sure how many people would get it/understand. But here it goes YOUR NEW TECHNOLOGY SCARES AND FRIGHTENS ME. But what I'm more pleased about is one of the shirts that I got that displays the graduation year. The class of 2024. Which when you think about it seems very far away, but it's just a number that we will eventually march towards.

One of the things that has really stood out to me, is that DC ranks 51 out of 51 states in this country. Honestly that's something that we as a nation should be embarrassed. The nations capital is a representation of our country to those throughout the world. But how can we be proud when the city where the laws and leaders work languishes behind all other states. The literacy rates in this city are so poor it's indefensible. The perpetual cycle that exist is something that really makes me want to do what I am about to be doing. When I worked with the extended day program I was dismayed that they had already given up, had a poor experience in education, that I wanted to really work at the beginning of schooling. It was something that was out of my comfort zone, but it was something that was challenging, and I can't back down from a challenge.

As I'm getting ready to the first day, I'm getting more fired up to do this. I'm getting into a routine right now. Waking up at 5am to go out and run. To make everyone in Charlotte jealous, the weather is right about perfect. Maybe it's hot but it's not humid. That's what I've been telling everyone. Today at lunch we sat outside for an hour at noon. WHAT YOU CAN DO THINGS OUTSIDE IN THE SUMMER AND NOT SWEAT. I think most everyone looked at me like I was a lunatic. They would say it's hot, and I would go well it's not that hot.

So another day done, another challenging one ahead. What lies in store. Not really sure. I get to do something fun tomorrow from what I'm told. Will I have to bring every single notebook and binder? Maybe. But what I'm glad is that I also got a satchel for my laptop, which I'm glad because now I don't have to buy one. Things on my list of what I need to buy right now: Winter coat, winter hat that's not associated with running, adult rain coat.

And before I forgot I was talking with my lead, and we are team purple. Some of the other teams have an animal that goes with their color. So I first suggested purple pandas. But that wasn't to obscure. We wanted to go for something exotic. Then it hit me: Purple Platypus. In cross we had this paper-mache platypus, that we called the PR Platty. Whenever someone got a PR they were able to hold the platty and write their times on it. It was pretty fun to see. I told this story and the animal name was gold. Gold Jerry! Awesome.

No comments: