Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer Track Series Finale

...I arrived at the Myers Park High School track sometime around 6 that night. This was not going to be the usual summer track series that I had known in years past. Gone were the days when you scribbled your name on a waver, received two carnival raffle tickets, and paid two dollars. Now I had to fill out an official race form, pay eight dollars, and receive a bib. No more of the laissez-faire notion that had been the custom in years past. Whether anyone cares for my opinion on this matter or not, I am a bit of a traditionalist and would rather they keep the loose settings that defined the series in years past. But like all things change was for the better. But one thing that was a constant was that the same starter, Tom, for all the high school races I coached and some of the road races I ran would be the official starter. I'm already feeling a good vibe.

The Myers Park track has some special memories for me. Not anything that I have done in regard to running. More in the vain of the athletes that I coached. There's one photo that I have been trying to find online, but for the life of me I can't find. It was taken with 150 meters to go in the 3200 at the Queen City Relays. It was where Jonathan Sunde was finishing and he was passing another athlete that I entered in that race, Dean. The picture was on the
front page of NCRunners.com, and it looked like I had placed the top two athletes in the race. Well not really. Jonathan was lapping Dean. But hardly anyone knew it and thought I was a really good coach. Jonathan ended up running a 9:35 for the win. It really was a great race. He had a battle with Ross Hughes of Myers for the first seven laps, and then he brought the hammer down. I will take that win over many other ones that I coached. It was Jonathan at his peak and he really showed everyone at a big time meet he was for real. I was proud of him for how he ran.

There were other memories from this track as well. We usually had our polar bear meets (for those who don't know what they are. Indoor track meets held outdoors are called polar bear meets) at the track. There's another picture that I can't find, I think I deleted it, but it was a picture of the team I enjoyed coaching the most. The 2006-07 Indoor Track team. It had the right size, the right people, and the right chemistry. We were all standing together looking goofy. Some smiling. Others giving each other hugs. It was classic. After those meets I would drive over to the Soda Shop at the Park Road Shopping Center and eat with some of the kids. It was a simpler time. Before I got a bit jaded...

...signing up for the track series I knew that there would be some big guns coming (I hoped). I wasn't sure what I really was going to do. I knew the mile, the 5k was another story. I wasn't that confident in my fitness and I wasn't sure if I was going to flame out or not during the mile. Was this going to be another Twilight? I really didn't know. I was feeling the doubt when I started to sit down and address the situation before me. I had heard the mile was moved to 6:40 and that I probably should warm up at 6:10. But still I wasn't that sure what I was going to do. I was downplaying my ability a bit. Under 5 was the goal. Maybe a 4:50 if I'm feeling good. My legs felt alright. But what about my heart?

...after running camp I decided one day over the summer, maybe every Wednesday, we would do a Roy Benson day. Coach Benson was in charge of the camp we went to, and the joke was that we would dress like he did during the camp. The ensemble was a collared shirt tucked into your running shorts. It was quite a sight to see at McAlpine when four or five guys did this. Wearing polos or their school uniform. I was wearing my Nike Dry Fit collared shirt that I got from running camp and was wearing my grunge shorts. I figured right before the warm up, what the hell let's do it. Off went my shorts and I tucked in my shirt to my running shorts. I hiked up my wool socks and off I went in the opposite
direction on the track for my warm up.*

*Warming up in the opposite direction on the track is a Catholic Cross Country/Track tradition unlike any other.

I wasn't sure who was going to be in the field. I knew most were going to be doing
the 5k, but when I saw Jonathan on the track it looked like he was good to go. I talked to him briefly and knew that he wanted to run something, that he was going to stay behind whoever was running 70s. Well that doesn't look like it will be me. After doing some strides and drills I was feeling better about my chances. I donned my old school Catholic XC jersey and got to the line. I was pretty nervous before the start. The picture at the right showed this energy. I was blowing into my hands, and right after this picture was taken I spit out something wicked onto the ground. I was kinda amped up to go. Tom started the race...and I took it from the start. I got out to what I thought was a good position and lead. For about 100 meters and then this guy in a Kenya jersey, David, came up to me. I could feel that he was faster and let him go. I think we went through the 400 in 69 or 70 I wasn't sure. I let Jonathan, Ben D, and Mike M go ahead of me, but I was still running what I thought was a pretty good time. I think we hit the 800 at 2:19. It was at this point where Jonathan and David were to far in front of me. I made a move on Ben and went by him, and was running with Mike for the rest of the time. When we got past the third lap I didn't the go button immediately, I knew that whatever kick I had was not going to be that po-
werful. But a 100 meters into the lap I decided to go. Why? That's how I run. Was it smart? Not really. I put a gap on Mike for a bit, but in the homestretch I tied up and he went by me. It's a terrible feeling when you know your body is giving up, yet mentally you aren't. I ended up running a 4:40.91 which really shocked me. I was only three seconds off my PR. I hadn't done any real proper speed workouts in a month, and had done six miles of hills in the morning. I had the same feeling after every mile race where I felt like crap for a couple minutes after the race, but a strange feeling came afterwards. I didn't feel that bad at all. My legs felt great. Well why not run the 5k!

With the 5k I really had no intention of really doing any damage. This was going to be a painful reminder that I was out of shape. I was going to have to suck up whatever pride I had and go out there and just run something that would make me proud. No matter how slow or fast I ran. I was glad that after talking to the big dogs nobody wanted to push it that much. We went through the first 400 in 82 and I just couldn't take that. I was content on running 80s, but that was to damn slow. And so the impatience set in. I was planning on waiting for a mile before deciding to see how I felt. But after that lap I figured, no free rides. I shot to the front and went for it. I'm not content on letting the race come to me, I'm more of the opinion dictating how I'm going to run. Has that hurt me in past races? Sure. But I don't feel bad with how I ran, and I don't think I want to run any other way. I ended up running a 17:07 for the 5k. My splits were consistent with 83's taking the majority of them. I felt my stride was, I didn't think I was running with poor form. It was something to remind me that there are going to be ups and downs, but if I find focus and motivation then I can be a pretty good runner...it's just to bad that it's not going to happen in Charlotte. Like a lot of other things...

After the 5k I cooled down with some of the guys and ran for 14 minutes. It didn't feel that bad at all. I think all the core (proper) I'm doing is paying off. The strength exercises that I'm doing as well are helping out with my form. And the fact that I am paying attention to nutrition and how I am running are working out. I felt pretty good on the cool down and knew that I am slowly reaching back to where I was at the beginning of March. I'm not in great shape, but I'm getting close to it.

After cooling down I spotted Allen drinking what looked like Sprite. Upon closer inspection it was something that was not Sprite but it's older brother. Is this a dry campus? Not anymore! Seriously how can I turn down free drinks?! IF YOU INSIST. This was something that I was looking for when I first started doing the summer track series. Back in 2005, 06, 07 I didn't really know anybody in the Charlotte running community. I knew a couple of runners, Stan, Chris, and Cody, but hardly ever talked to them. I would see them at races (or with Stan at McMullen) not really talk to them, finish the race, and then go home. But I would see them at the track series hanging out with a bunch of people having a good time, and it made me a bit jealous that I was missing out. I don't know why I didn't just walk over there and introduce myself and talk to them, maybe I didn't think I was that good of a runner to hang out with them, maybe I didn't want to impose, I really don't know. But I would do the track races and then leave. Now as I was leaving I was able to experience it. It was something that I would remember more often than any race where I PR'd or any workout where I ran well.

"All these days they’ve run past
Life’s going by so fast
All the best things that I have
No one can take them from me
Here’s to the memories"
The Bouncing Souls

No comments: