Tuesday, June 28, 2011

You should get to know your town just like I know mine

...there's a Clash song called City of the Dead that I really like. The title of the post is from that song. What I really don't like is that the song was used in the trailer for a Nic Cage movie called Bringing out the Dead. I remember one time my sister told me that Cage was bankrupt and thought, that's a terrible name for a movie. Is he suppose to be a super-hero? And she was like no he's bankrupt, he has no money. And so with that introduction some rambling rants on life so far in DC:

  • One thing that just totally bugs me to death about DC, something that makes my skin crawl is the amount of trash that I see whenever I run or walk on the sidewalks. It gets to the point where it's an embarrassment. Whenever I walk by the trash I have to stop my self from picking it up. That's the one negative I have seen so far in DC, the amount of trash. We can do better than that DC!
  • My garmin. Oh am I not happy with it in the city. I think it must take about 35 million minutes for it to locate the satellites. I end up waiting nearly 5 minutes for it to find it. And I know that it must know that I am waiting for it. It gets closer and closer and closer and then AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it goes back down. I get so frustrated!
  • A word to the wise to anyone from Charlotte who reads this. When exiting a DC metro and you head to the escalators make sure you walk up them. Don't just stand there and let it take you to the top. That's how they know your not from here. I'm literally sprinting up the stairs. Of course they don't make it easy. The Georgia Ave/Petworth exit that I get off is akin to Mt. Everest. I'm having to take a sherpa and oxygen tanks whenever I exit that place. A hill workout indeed.
  • There is a Wendy's literally right next door to my place. When I exit my building there it's right there. I have not ate at it yet. I don't know if I will eat there. I have some good self control.
  • There is also a coffee shop across the street from my place. I probably would go there a bit, but I don't drink coffee.
  • There is a funeral home parlor catty corner to my place. I don't want to go to that place.
  • I'm extremely glad that I choose to live in this area of DC. While yes it is getting a little fancy and will probably be the next stop on the hipster/yuppie/gentrification wave I am glad that I am living here. It would have been the easy way out to live at that place on Connecticut, but I think this neighborhood has a lot to offer me. Although from the looks of things it will soon be just like Columbia Heights. The apartment complex above the metro station looks nice. I looked it up online and realized that yes it's nice, it's rent is double what mine is. There are a lot of condo building that are similar to it going up. I just wish they started fixing the Safeway as soon as possible.
  • In regard to road races I'm gonna have to seriously befriend someone that has a car for the sole purpose of having someone drive me to the races. The races that are currently on my schedule either fall on a Saturday night (Rockville Twilight) where I don't have to worry about getting there, but the rest fall on a Sunday morning and the metro wont be running that early.
  • Speaking of the Rockville Twilight I looked at last years results to see where I might be able to place based on my 8k PR. 37th place. That's right. Man I gotta step up my game. I've heard that the course is hilly and that it's pretty humid. Although the after race festivities are pretty amazing.
That is all.

No comments: