Monday, May 27, 2013

One year ago

A year ago I ran the Vermont City Marathon. I also wrote about here on the blog. Neither of them were very good. I was off 10 minutes on my goal time. And I wrote most of the blog post dying from eating some tainted beef from Chiptole.  Looking back on my training log it should have been pretty obvious that I wasn't going to be running the time that I expected to.

Anyway it's time to start back this blog again. I may not have the readers as I did on the first version of Dinner's for Suckers.

After a week of easy running and taking my mileage down, it was time to get the mileage back up. I wanted to do a three mile tempo, to give myself a baseline of where I was. This was going to give me an idea of where my fitness was. One goal that I had in mind was to not dip into the well. Whatever my time was, that was what it was going to be. So if it was six minute pace, then it was six minute pace.

The weather was really nice and it was great to be out there when it was somewhat cool outside. I hit my miles in 5:35, 5:40, and 5:28. The second mile, running it in Rock Creek, is always a tad slow. I have to run on a little sidewalk over a bridge, where there is a quick turn, then run up some hills, and then cross a street. Other than that I felt fine. I didn't panic when my pace was 5:51 for mile two. Mile three was smooth. I know I could have really pushed it ten to fifteen seconds faster, but that was not part of the plan.

I ended up running ten miles. Time for the tempo was 16:43. Not a bad place to start off. I finished with four strides.

No comments: