Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer School Day 4

I was getting a bit bored with this, but I was thinking that a conducive way to get my thoughts down is to write about what happened during the day while I was teaching. No names will be addressed and very vague information will be given. I am teaching summer school for five weeks. It is a half day. I teach students that are in the age range of rising Pre-K 4 to 1st grade. 


This is taken from my reflective journal. Writing in italics have been added for the blog.

I'm going to chalk this day better. I was able to do some small groups, and was able to enjoy working in those groups. It's still an ongoing process to find my groove. I'm feeling more confident and excited as the week has gone on. I feel that I need to continue to adapt to this group of students, and not think of my former class.

One thing that I need to work on is getting out of the Kindergarten mentality. The students are different emotionally and with their mentality. There are things that I did not factor in when I was teaching Kindergarten that I have to factor in teaching younger students. Apparently getting kids to eat their food (ie. main food, not snacks) is important, because of setting eating habits. This was something that was not introduced to me. I'm use to kids asking me to open something, I will. So when this upsets the standard process from the other teachers, I really don't feel that bad, because nobody has told me to do something otherwise. I feel a little sorry for what happened.

No comments: