Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Recap: Coming Home

...I was watching the final four and it was half time of the Kansas-Ohio State game. I was figuring that it was time to go to bed. My thoughts were drifting to other things, but the one thing that always came first. It was something that only a few people know about, only a few people thought it would actually happen. But it's happening.

I woke up and ate some breakfast this morning. I left my building at 5:30 this morning to go to the metro station. Leaving the elevator to go to the lobby I see two big women with two big dudes standing in the entrance. I always thought that I would see someone coming in as I was leaving and it would be funny. But I wasn't really laughing. I got to the door and they moved, but were talking four huge people. I walked down the metro station, and this clearly drunk women soon starts to stagger towards me. There was another guy sitting next to me on the bench, when this women starts to talk to us. She slurred her words and then wondered around the station. The guy asked me if she was on drugs. I just looked and him and thought only two people slur their words and stagger. One is someone who is suffering a stroke and the other is someone on some sort of drugs/alcohol, and there is no way someone with a stroke can walk down the escalator. My train came and going to where I need to go was painless and it was easy.

I got out to the Washington monument around 6:10 and walked around the place. Maybe I would recognize someone, but probably not. I started a warm up around 6:45 and did it for only ten minutes. I came back to the bag check, stretched, changed into my singlet, and then saw Chad and Danielle in line at the bag check. After talking to them for a couple seconds I then went to find a bathroom for a brief stop and then got to the starting line.

I will say that the starting line was a bit packed and I was about two to three people back. It meant that I was two to three seconds off the starting time. I wasn't really sure what I could do. I haven't ran a real true speed work. I do hills and miles. Well I figured let's see how it goes. I had to pick it up more than I wanted to on the first mile, to get out of the crowds. The route for the race were all roads that I have ran countless times. Over the bridge (that I don't know what it's called), East Potomac park (where it's really boring), Rock Creek Pkway (under the Kennedy Center). I was consistent on my pace around 5:40s throughout the race. I knew at mile five I was hurting, but I was pleased that I hung tough. I ended up running a 57:15, which was 15 seconds slower than what my goal was, but seeing that I battled the stomach flu, it was a confident booster that I am getting faster, and that is very positive.

I ended up not feeling well at all after the race. I didn't take a gel or that much water or gatorade during the race. I don't know why I do this. Take all the pain during the race and compound it. But my body goes into serious shock after the race. Right now it's a little after one in the afternoon, and I finally feel normal. But in all I feel good. I didn't do a cool down because I thought I was going to die with my colon fighting the good fight.

But the really big news that I still am thinking about and am excited to have happen the last couple weeks, is that the ole B-Mizzle will be moving back to Charlotte June 18. That's right I'm coming home, coming back. But why? What for? Oh they say you can't come back again. Well you can in my instance. After some secret negotiations and secret phone calls, I've gotten back the position that was mine and then I had to give it back. That's right I'm coming back to coach at Catholic cross and track, I'll be doing a teaching position in the city. It's all coming together. I wasn't going to come back, but after a conversation with someone who said if you want to come back we can make it happen, and that you are the one we want to come back. Well I couldn't say no to this person. I'll be coming back, with a contact signed to make sure things don't go downhill like it did before. So now that the secret is out it's time to enjoy what's happening now and have some fun!

No comments: