Sunday, May 6, 2012

Blog post #2

...in between writing my portfolio which approaching the twenty five page level and looking to add five more pages. I was a little light hearted about the loss of MCA on Friday. Seeing that while it was nap time at school kinda bummed me out. So on Friday after running a workout that totally obliterated my legs, I watched some videos on youtube. And so during the course of the weekend, I was able to listen to songs that I haven't heard in a loooong time. Here they are:



The Get Up Kids-Holiday. It was freshman year of college, I was dating this girl and she was really cool and listened to some cool music.* So one of the bands that she liked was the get up kids. They were an emo band and maybe not the tempo and style of punk that I liked, but I bought this album and really dug them. This is a simple song that fills me up with those memories when I was in a happy place.

*She also listened to radiohead. And like an idiot, who liked her, I decided to go out and buy some radiohead albums, the bends and Ok computer. I never liked radiohead that much, but she did and this was my ticket in. Then the relationship ended...badly and I was left with these radiohead albums that reminded me of her. I never listened to them again, but I never threw them away. And the bummer is I like the bends.






Fifteen-End of the Summer. In what would be a common theme throughout my life, I found out about this band when I didn't have that many friends and didn't have that much prospects. Maybe it was around 2006, I think. This was a song that was on an online comp from Nothing Nice. I had never heard of this band before, mainly because they broke up at the end of century, and they weren't that popular. But I really did the gruff voice mixed with pop punk. It takes me back to this time when I would play the comp in my car throughout the years. Now I drive a nicer car than a 99 Altima.


Jawbreaker-Kiss the Bottle. This is a band that I never really knew about until college, but I always heard great things about them, and all the bands I listened to covered them. Anyway there are other songs that they have that I enjoy, like Boxcar and Chesterfield King, but for some reason I like this song. Maybe it's the grit in the vocals and sound. That's probably what pains me the most when bands sign to a big label. It's not that their selling out, but that their sound will be more slick, more polished, sounding better. But what I remember about this song was that I would always listen to this song when I was inebriated and of course I would think about things that depressed me and would start to cry while I was in bed listening to this song. Senior Year in college! Fantastic!


The Impossibles-So Much. From the opening guitar, I really liked this song and band. I couldn't find the other song that I really liked called Superman, I think. So I found out about this band, from said girl earlier on, she said the guitarist was in Weezer or something. I don't know. I know she also really liked Weezer, but I never bought any Weezer albums. But I remember this song and the feeling that I had at the end of freshman year of college. A feeling that was around this time nearly, oh, thirteen years ago. Man I'm old.


The Bouncing Souls-Lean on Sheena. This isn't that old of a song, but I haven't heard in a long time, and just started to listen to it again. It's pretty good cover from this band. I really liked the song when I first heard. It's a typical souls song, it tells you a story from point a to b. That's why they are one of my favorite bands and I'll see them in June here in DC. I really liked this video although it does give me some weird vibes, that I just recently watched.

I'm sure there are other songs that bring memories back to me. I remember at the end of Junior year I listened to the new Good Riddance album a lot. I remember other songs that got me thinking about certain times and how I was feeling. I never really talked to that girl after the middle part of sophomore year of college. I don't really know what happened to her. I think she moved west and got married, I'm not really sure. I guess I could type her name in Facebook and see if she is around, but I've never done that. Would she know who I was? Would she care? I don't know.

No comments: