Sunday, February 10, 2013

Still rising

...I'm sitting in my apartment with not much left to do. Other than review what I am going to be teaching tomorrow, I've basically finished all the work that I had on my to do list.* I'm at the point where I have ran twenty two days in a row. I've done three workouts this week and was able to raise my mileage to almost 54 miles.

*There is also the fact that I can't find my umbrella. Like seriously where did it go? I have no idea!

There has been some slight pain in my left IT band, but nothing that has caused me any concerns. Or anything that would prompt me to take a day off. In fact it really comes and goes. There are some lingering pains when I sit down for to long. Or there are some pains after I wake up. I've felt that this week has been a return back to the schedule that I was keeping until the middle of December. Then I got sick and didn't run for a week. Then I was in Charlotte for two weeks. Then I ran for about three days in DC and then I got hurt, and it was a long comeback to just run two miles.

Now I am back to maybe what I would say is 80%. There was a feeling in the middle of January, where I threw up my hands (figuratively) and declared that the 2013 race season was over. I did the 8k (or closer 10k) race and felt like things were getting back to respectability. With the two track workouts I did, I think the feeling of being in shape is slowing on the way up.

The workout I did on Tuesday was 8 x 400 and 10 x 200. I averaged 77 for the 400s and 37 for the 200s. I totally felt wiped out from this workout. I haven't had that feeling in a loooong time. But it was a good feeling. The workout I did on Thursday was 10 x 400 and 12 x 400. I got off to a rocky start with two 82's to start off the 400s, that is why the average was 78 and for the 200s it was 37. Take out the slow times when I was getting my legs under me, I average 77. Then on Saturday I did a nice steady state run on Beach Drive, which going out is a deceptive uphill. Add the wind and it wasn't that pleasant going out 4.5 and then on the way back it wasn't so bad. I averaged 6:34 for 9 miles and ran under an hour, which is something that I wanted to do. I'm pleased that the effort is starting to pay off.

Next week I'll toe the line for the George Washington Birthday Classic 10k. My goal is a rather humble one of running under 35 minutes and a top 15 finish. The upcoming week is rather unusual. I get to go to New Jersey on Thursday to observe a school in Newark. The fun part is that I get to board a train at 4am to get to Newark!

On the professional front, I basically have an unofficial contract renewed at my school. It wont formally be offered until late March, but after going over my mid year evaluation it will soon be a formality. I had the meeting for my mid year on Friday after school. I was in the mind to do some sort of celebrating, but that ain't me. It never really was me and I really don't have it in me to be something or someone that I am not. I just go about my business and do the things that please me. Whether that's playing video games, reading, or doing some work. I do the things that satisfy myself.  I ended up working for most of Saturday and Sunday morning.

Maybe I'll blog more often. Maybe I'll get more spam comments.

No comments: